Friday, 9 December 2011

Rhian's Evaluation Questions & Answers

1) There are several ways in which our media product uses forms and conventions of real media products. Our first piece of inspiration for our product came from the Destiny’s child music video for ‘Girl’ as we felt that the genre of this song, theme of the music video, and narrative were very similar to our product and the theme we wanted to convey which was feminine, and shows friendship and friends being there for each other. After researching music video on YouTube by other female artists, we noticed that music in our genre (R’n’B/pop)tend to have a lot of shots of the artist themselves with a lot of close-ups, so we made sure that we shot a range of different close-ups of our artist to use for our music video. As well as looking at a range of music videos for inspiration, we also done some research on Google images to get some ideas for costumes and props to use that would fit into our genre; we went for feminine, bright but simple costumes with simple jewellery like ear-rings, rings and necklaces. The narrative for our music video is quite typical to the lyrics of the song which is about a girl having a crush on a boy, so we produced a narrative to show our artist feeling down about this, and feeling lonely until her friends meet up with her and cheer her up.

2) The combination of our main product and ancillary texts is very effective as the combination of posters and photos gives a clearer insight to the artist’s personality which increases likeability. The cover of our digi-pak is a posed photo of the artist - we chose to have the artists face as the main feature for the front cover because research showed us that the majority of album covers for our genre of music had the artists face on the front cover. When first seeing the digi-pak, the front image may convey a typical image of a female artist - hair and make-up done and posing for the camera. The photo also shows confidence as it is a bold and striking, clear image in black and white with a very small amount of colour. However, the photo booklet on the inside of the digi-pak conveys the artist’s personality rather than her image as she poses for the photos. These photos are more playful and light-hearted to show her fun side. The target audience for our product is aimed at teenagers and young adults – it is suitable for a young audience as it does not contain any swear words. This product would be more attractive to a female based audience as the artist is female and singing about her crush, so other females are able to relate to her; this factor alone would help to attract the target audience. Younger females may be attracted to the product because they see the artist as someone they look up to and idolise. On the other hand, a male audience may also find the product appealing due to the attraction to the female artist – photos and posters would contribute to the attraction.

3) From feedback we received on our rough-cut of the music video, we used the negative feedback as constructive criticism to improve our music video. As the rough-cut was unfinished when viewed, some people said that they couldn’t see where our narrative was going which meant that we gave it quite a slow build up, however with fast-paced cuts and short shots it worked well for our video and balanced out the pace. In our unfinished rough-cut we were also advised that we needed more locations as there were only two different locations at the time, but our finished product had one other location that we had intended to introduce towards the end of our music video. We were pleased that the performance was complimented on and the audience liked that we used black and white effect for various clips of our video. There was positive feedback on the pace of our clips so we kept this consistent throughout, and we were happy to hear we had a good range of
footage as we were very sure to get more than enough footage to be able to choose from, and use what worked/looked best in our video.

4) In the planning of our music video, we used technology like a HD video camera to go out and film some test footage so that we got used to the camera and tripod, lighting and working one of our locations to the best of our ability. Having this specifically set time to make some test footage saved us from wasting our time when it came to filming footage that we would be using in our music video because we already knew the equipment and location. Bloggr was one of the main technologies that we used in the process of our planning as this is where we put our inspiration and ideas down and where we noted down what and how we had done things/what needed changing and what we wanted to try, so we could go straight to our blog to arrange what we would do next. For the production of our product we decided not to use Photoshop and used an alternative called ‘Gimp’ as the whole of my group seemed to have difficulty with using Photoshop for particular things that we wanted to create like certain effects of images and certain fonts, so instead of wasting our working time, we used a different programme. Final Cut was the main piece of technology in the creation of our video as this the programme that we used to make and edit our music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment